What We Know:
- The singer strikes a familiar defensive tone in the song, accusing haters of trying to destroy his career, admitting, “I done made some mistakes,” but fiercely denying the strongest accusations against him. “How they gon’ say I don’t respect these women, when all I’ve done is represent (30 years)/ Take my career and turn it upside down, ’cause you mad I’ve got some girlfriends (girlfriends),” he sings.
- He sort-of admits to his widely reported predilection for younger women, at one point singing “I admit I f— with all the ladies, that’s both older and young ladies/ But tell me how they call it pedophile, because that s–t is crazy.”
“You may have your opinions, entitled to your opinions/ But really am I supposed to go to jail or lose my career because of your opinion/ Yeah, go ahead and stone me, point your finger at me/ Turn the world against me, but only God can mute me,” he continues.
- He even addresses the recent accusations that he’s brainwashed and held women in a “sex cult.”
“Said I’m abusing these women, what the f–k that’s some absurd s–t/ They’re brainwashed, really?/ Kidnapped, really?/ Can’t eat, really?/ Real talk, that s–t sound silly.”
- He goes on to claim the parents of Jocelyn Savage, who have accused the singer of kidnapping their daughter, of introducing her to him. “And if you really, really wanna know/ Her father dropped her off at my show/ And told this boy to put her on stage/ I admit that she was over age/ I admit that I was feelin’ her and I admit that she was feelin’ me/ I admit that that’s the s–t that comes with/ being a celebrity/ I ain’t chasing these ladies/ These ladies are chasing me, yeah.”
- He also points a finger at Chicago journalist Jim DeRogatis, who first reported the existence of the sex tape at the center of the child-pornography case, ultimately dismissed, against Kelly in 2000, and has continued to report on the singer’s alleged misconduct in the years since.
“To Jim DeRogatis, whatever your name is (whatever your name is)/ You been tryna destroy me for 25 whole years/ Writin’ the same stories over and over against/ Off my name, you done went and made yourself a career/ But guess what? I pray for you and family, and all my other enemies/ I’m not gonna let y’all steal my joy, I’m just gonna keep on doing me.”
Take a listen and let us know what you think!
Today is the day you’ve been waiting for. 🎶 I ADMIT 🎶
— R. Kelly (@rkelly) July 23, 2018
See something we should report? Let us know!