Noteworthy black women in the music and entertainment industry will be honored Sunday night at the New Jersey Performing Arts Center in the appropriately named 2018 Black Girls Rock Awards.
What We Know:
- Queen Latifah hosted this year’s show, which was taped in late August and will see a number of huge names honored.
- Naomi Campbell will receive the “Black Girl Magic Award.” Janet Jackson will be given the “Rockstar Award,” which is “given to phenomenal women in music who are cultural innovators and whose work exhibits a commitment to the craftsmanship, creativity, integrity and elevation of high art.” The “Living Legend Award” will go to Judith Jamison, the highly regarded dancer and choreographer.
- Actress and screenwriter Lena Waithe (Master of None) will be given the “Shot Caller Award.” Mary J. Blige, one of the greatest R&B artists of all-time, will be honored with the “Star Power Award.” Activist Tarana Burke will be recognized as the “Community Change Agent.”
- There will also be a handful of performers, including Victory, Tamia, Yolanda Adams, Fantasia, Stephanie Mills, Jazmine Sullivan, Rapsody, Ledisi, Cynthia Ervio, H.E.R, and Jacqueline Green.
- The show will feature a tribute to Aretha Franklin, Queen of Soul.
Watch the show live on BET.
Black News Alerts staff will tweet live during this event on @blacknewsalerts twitter account. Follow us for more!
See something we should post? Let us know!