21 Savage says he’ll fight “all the way to the last day” to stay in Atlanta in the wake of his arrest by immigration officials.
What We Know:
- The 26-year-old rapper opened up about his battle to stay in the country in a lengthy interview with the New York Times Sunday, and admitted he only became aware that his status as a citizen was not settled when he became a teenager and couldn’t partake in the same milestones as his friends.
- Savage, who was born She’yaa Bin Abraham-Joseph, was arrested by Immigration and Customs Enforcement on Feb. 3.
- Officials said the musician was taken into custody because he was an “unlawfully present United Kingdom national” who legally entered the country in 2005, but did not leave one year later as he was supposed to.
- Savage remained in ICE custody for 10 days before he was released on $100,000 bond last Wednesday.
- Savage was still in custody during the Grammy Awards, meaning he was forced to miss celebrating his nominations and performing with his “Rockstar” collaborator Post Malone.
This story is still developing and will be updated.
See something we should post? Let us know!