Offset, one-third of the Migos is facing new felony charges, which stem from a Georgia arrest in 2018.
What We Know:
- The Father of 4 rapper, born Kiari Kendrell Cephus, was pulled over in a traffic stop resulting in a felony charge for firearms possession by a convicted felon and misdemeanor charges of marijuana possession and a lane change. The traffic stop was originally stated to have been initiated due to the tinted windows on Offset’s car.
- Charges against Offset from the incident last summer were filed this past February. He was originally facing another charge in the arrest for felony possession of a firearm while committing a crime, however, that charge was dropped.
- TMZ reported Offset entered a plea of not guilty in March and is due back in court this May. When the arrest originally occurred, shortly after the birth of his daughter Kulture, attorneys for Offset believe the rapper is being targeted due to his status as a rich and successful Black man. They also believe the traffic stop was bogus from the start.
- “It’s a common theme. We’re talking about a young, African-American man driving a shiny, beautiful luxury car and clad in designer clothes and watches and jewelry,” Attorney, Drew Findling in July, reports Essence.
- There has not been an updated statement released from Offset’s legal team.
Previously, Offset has had brushes with the law which resulted in a five-year probation stint that was ended early.