The self-driving tech startup Waymo under Google has found it’s home in Detroit.
What We Know:
- According to “TechCrunch”, Waymo will be repurposing a factory at the automobile company American Axle & Manufacturing in Detroit.
- The goal is “to begin moving into the facility by mid-2019 and begin preparing the site for manufacturing Level 4 autonomous vehicles.”
- The Level 4 vehicles are allegedly able to withstand any driving conditions.
- Detroit is great choice to economically boost Michigan and further solidify “Michigan as a leader in mobility and the epicenter of advanced automotive manufacturing,” according to Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer.
- This is not the first project that Waymo has accomplished to make their mark. Waymo One, “a limited commercial robotaxi service”, was launched in the Phoenix area in December.
- The company plans to take away the Waymo-trained drivers still currently at the wheel soon.
The future only seen in the cartoons is getting closer and closer!