13-year-old Kashala Francis died Wednesday, April 25 after being brutally beaten by three of her classmates on her way home from school in Houston.
What We Know:
- Francis was walking home from school when she was punched and kicked in the head by three of her 7th-grade classmates on Thursday, April 18. Francis told her mother the attack was unprovoked.
- Francis came home after the attack with just a bruise on her face but complained of a headache the following Sunday, when she fell unconscious and into a coma. Doctors at the hospital found Francis had a brain tumor and buildup of fluid in her head.
- Police are unsure whether Francis’s death is due to the attack or a previous medical condition. Doctors said the attack may have exacerbated her existing tumor.
- No arrests have been made and the police are waiting for the autopsy results to make further comment. The Houston Independent School District released a statement saying they are cooperating with the police investigation.
- Francis’s family has created a Facebook page to collect donations to pay Francis’s medical bills. The page has exceeded its $10,000 goal and raised $10,343.
Police continue to investigate the attack and are tentatively identifying the crime as a homicide.