Seattle Seahawks Quarterback Russell Wilson and Grammy Award-winning Ciara Wilson launched their television, film and digital content production company, Why Not You, to tell “inspiring and aspiring narratives and human interest stories.”
What we know:
- The two announced the launch of their company on Monday, April 29. Russell and Ciara made a statement about the launch that they “are excited to come together to collaborate and create stories that we hope will touch people’s lives.”
- The couple also founded a foundation by the same name, the Why Not You Foundation, which works to motivate and empower youth through scholarships, education and advocating for children’s rights.
- Ciara runs an entertainment company, Beauty Marks Entertainment and Russell owns a brand management company called West2East Empire.
- Russell is joining many athletes-turned-media moguls who have famously founded their own media companies; LeBron James founded his streaming service, “SpringHill Entertainment” in 2013 and Stephen Curry founded production company Unanimous Media with Sony in 2018.
- Russell told the Hollywood Reporter, “When people look at me, I hope they don’t just see a football player. I hope they see a person who is innovative and creative.”
The couple is focused on making a positive change in the world by focusing on narrative and empowering people using the platform of their collective fame.