The 73rd Met Gala took place Monday night at New York’s Metropolitan Museum of Art.
What We Know:
- The Met Gala, also known as the “Costume Institute Gala”, is one of the biggest nights in fashion. The themes give some of society’s biggest stars the time to shine on the red carpet (or in this year’s case — pink carpet). The theme for this year was “Camp: Notes on Fashion” and some stars definitely showed out.
- Not referring to the summer camp you went to as a kid, “camp” is defined by Susan Sontag in her essay “Notes on Camp” as “love of the unnatural: of artifice and exaggeration.” An aspects of “camp” is that it can reflect pop culture in its elements.
- “Pose” star Billy Porter had an iconic entrance – having six Broadway actors carry him in with a nod to the ancient Egyptian “Sun God.” The star completed the look with his gold catsuit and headpiece completely encrusted in jewels with TEN FOOT WINGS. His look is definitely one of the crowd favorites of the night.
- Another perfect example of this fashion trend is Lady Gaga who has been an icon for camp for many years (ex. the meat dress!). Starting off with a dramatic hot pink dress with a flowing train (and champagne cart in tow), the pop star stripped through four outfit changes before finally revealing her final look – a glitter bra and underwear set with black tights and ginormous black heels.
- While some stars exemplified this aspect, like Kacey Musgraves coming as a literal Barbie, one star seemed to do it the best – Zendaya. The Disney alum transformed into “Cinderella” on the pink carpet, thanks to a wave of a smoking wand from her “fairy godstylist” Law Roach. The dress completely lit up and the star gracefully went up the stairs to the gala – even leaving a shoe behind.
This year’s gala was one for the books — cannot wait to see what next year will bring!