The “Black-ish” spin-off “Mixed-ish” was announced by ABC May 2.
What We Know:
- “Black-ish” follows Anthony Anderson as he plays the patriarch and leader of his family into a world led by their predominantly upper-class white counterparts.
- The new spin-off, co-written by “Black-ish” created Kenya Barris,will focus on “the childhood of Rainbow Johnson, the character played by Tracee Ellis Ross, and her experience growing up in a mixed-race family in the ‘80s.”
- “Black-ish” has received support over it’s renewal but there hav been numerous negative responses concerning the new spinoff.
- The franchise is being seen as another example of the company focusing more on light-skinned actors than dark-skinned actors.
- While these light-skinned actors and voices take the spotlight, it leaves little space for the dark-skinned actors and voices in the entertainment industry.
- According to a recent report by TVStudy, there were 18 characters of color in the top 100 series, with no characters of color in the top 10 on the list.
- Serious work needs to be done by not only the franchise but the network to include every voice in their projects.
Hopefully, ABC hears and acts upon this feedback accordingly.