Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, known by many simply as AOC, is discussing a potential film about her Green New Deal policy.
What We Know…
- AOC is working with filmmaker Rachel Lears, who worked on the Netflix documentary, “Knock Down the House,” about AOC’s 2018 midterm elections along with 3 other progressive female candidates.
- The Green New Deal is a proposed government program that would tackle both climate change and economic inequality through social and economic reforms and public works projects. It was first attempted by Franklin D. Roosevelt and has since been combined with modern research and technology about renewable energy.
- AOC has sponsored a pair of resolutions with Massachusetts Senator Ed Markey which failed to advance in the Senate in March. She is still pushing for this reform and will headline a rally in at Howard University on May 13 to promote the New Deal.
- A Green New Deal Outline was released in February explaining the measures that would cut carbon emissions across the American economy. It will do so while paying special attention to minority communities affected by large-scale economic transitions.
- This documentary follows a 7-minute documentary AOC voiced called “A Message From the Future With Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez,” produced by The Intercept earlier this year.
- Alexandria ocasio-Cortez has become famous for using media and popular culture to reach her young audience.
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has become famous for using media and popular culture to reach her young audience.