R. Kelly has managed to pay around $62,000 in back child support to his ex-wife Drea Kelly.
What We Know:
- On Wednesday, May 8, Kelly appeared at a hearing at the Cook County court in regards to the back child support owed to his ex-wife. To avoid going back to jail, Kelly paid child support for March, April, and May.
- Darrell Johnson, Kelly’s representative advised that, “Mr. Kelly also placed a check for child support in an escrow account with his family law attorney for June, July, and August in advance. It will be paid in the next couple of days or on his next meeting on May 14th.”
- Kelly still has to pay $33,000 of the $161,000 that was ordered back in March. In addition to this, Drea is also trying to get Kelly to pay interest for the back child support and her attorney fees.
- Kelly is legally obligated to continue paying child support though his daughter’s 23rd birthday. Drea is asking the judge for a one year extension to that so that their daughter can finish school. Kelly had not previously met his obligation to pay for his daughter’s college which forced her to drop out. She has one year left to complete.
- The judge has ordered Kelly and Drea to set a date for them to find a resolution for her college tuition to ensure that she is able to finish school.
This has been an ongoing case since 2006. Kelly is still awaiting trial for his criminal case regarding his sexual assault allegations of three minors and one adult female.