Comedian Steve Harvey is under fire for mocking Asian men.
What We Know:
- During a segment on his talk show on Monday, the 59-year-old comedian made fun of several “self-help” book, including one titled “How to date a white woman: A practical guide for Asian men.”
- Harvey turned to his audience and asked, “Excuse me, do you like Asian men? No thank you.” He then suggested to his audience a new book titled, “How to date a black woman: a practical guide for Asian men.”
- Fans and listeners of his show commented on social media and even on Harvey’s twitter saying, “Steve Harvey’s joke about Asian men being unattractive was trash.”
- Though Harvey spent most of his segment crackling at his own jokes, people on social media weren’t laughing. His audience was bothered when Harvey said, “You like Asian men? I don’t even like Chinese food. It doesn’t stay with you no time. I don’t eat what I can’t pronounce.”
- Karin Wang, V.P. of programs said, “It’s unfortunate when those with a public platform like Steve Harvey use that platform to mock and ridicule entire groups of people and in this particular case, to perpetuate negative and harmful racial stereotypes about Asian Americans.”
Harvey is scheduled to host the Miss Universe agent on January 30 in the Philippines, which is home to more than 45 million Asian men.