The creative director of Balenciaga, Demna Gvasalia, announced his scholarships Tuesday night.
What We Know:
- The scholarship’s were announced at the annual “Celebration of the Creative Spirit” scholarship benefit at Pratt Institute in New York City.
- Gvasalia, unable to attend, was honored that night with Pratt’s ‘Creative Spirit’ award. Despite his abscence, he made sure that his presence was known.
- Gvasalia and the brand Balenciaga are working with the Black Alumni of Pratt (BAP) to offer full four-year scholarships to two students of African or Latinx descent.
- Created in 1990, BAP works to provide academic and career opportunities for student and graduate members…Over the past 30 years, the group has raised more than $5 million to advance students of color in the field of art, design and architecture.
- This is a major positive step for Balenciaga, who is showing their support for every person no matter their race. In an industry overpowered by the white population, this is a refreshing sight.
Hopefully other fashion houses follow Balenciaga’s lead.