Issa Rae set to produce the film adaptation of Tayari Jones novel Silver Sparrow
What We Know:
- Issa Rae has been quite busy this year, between the second season of the hit HBO series Insecure and starring opposite of Regina Hall as well as Hollywood’s youngest executive producer Marsai Martin in “Little.” Rae will be adding the title of film producer to her repertoire as she is set to produce Tayari Jones’s Silver Sparrow.
- Tayari Jones is the author of both Silver Sparrow and An American Marriage. Silver Sparrow is set in Atlanta, Georgia with John Witherspoon cast as the father in the novel.
- The novel is based around the story of Dana who serves as the story’s narrator. Dana lives her life in the shadows of being a love chid after her mother had an affair with Witherspoon’s character. She later connects with her half sister and the two learn to embrace one another.
- Silver Sparrow is a story of self discovery through a situation many young girls find themselves in. When asked about the inspiration behind the story, Jones said, “I wrote Silver Sparrow as a tribute to my sisters.” Jones believes Issa Rae’s mind is perfect to bring the project to life stating “Issa Rae is an artist who has a real understanding and commitment to presenting the live of young women with the complexity, humor, and heart.”
- Judy Blume said, “Silver Sparrow will break your heart before you even know it.” The novel was named one of the best books of the year in O, The Oprah Magazine in 2011.
The two ladies are still working on the structure of the script but we can’t wait to see what they come up with!