Coach Keanon Lowe, tackled a gunman at Parkrose High School in Portland before anyone was hurt.
What We Know:
- Lowe is currently the football and track coach at the high school where the incident took place. He was a star wide receiver at the University of Oregon and he was an assistant coach for the San Francisco 49ers.
- School officials were informed that the student was behaving oddly and began searching for the individual. When they arrived, Lowe already subdued the student and wrestled a gun away from him.
- According to a student, the gunman entered a classroom ten minutes before it was supposed to end, wearing a black trench coat and pulled out a long gun from the coat.
- The gunman is a student at the high school, whose name has not been released to the public. Other students have mentioned that the suspect is an 18-year-old senior.
- Lowe told an Oregon news station, “I’m happy I was able to be there for the kids and for the community.”
- Parkrose School District Superintendent Michael Lopes Serrao made a statement praising Lowe saying, “The staff member did an excellent job by all accounts, and our officers arrived within minutes and went right in,” he added that the situation was “the best-case scenario.”
Coach Lowe showed tremendous bravery and stepped up when his students needed him the most.