Gillette released a new ad campaign showing a father teaching his transgender son how to shave. The ad is the latest of the brands push to redefine masculinity.
What We Know:
- The ad features Canadian transgender activist, Samson Bonkeabantu Brown, who spoke about his experience transitioning and reaching the pivotal moment. “With the help of Gillette Opens a New Window. , I was able to share an important milestone in every man’s life with my father,” Brown shared on Instagram. “This moment overwhelmed me during filming and again today seeing the ad since it’s been launched.”
- In the video, Brown is seen in front of the mirror prepping his face while his father reassures him, saying “Now, don’t be scared. Shaving is about being confident.”
- Brown expressed that the ad was not only about him transitioning, but also the people around him transitioning.
- According to NBC News, spokesperson Corey Manuel said in a statement “Gender conversations are happening all around us and we believe brands play a role in influencing culture and have a responsibility to use their voice to champion issues of great relevance to both the brand and our customers.”
- The razor company received some mixed reviews with some consumers applauding the razor company for its inclusiveness, while others are criticizing the brand for using a social movement to increase sales.
In January, Gillette released an ad, “the best men can be,” which called out toxic masculinity and addressed the “me too” movement.