Former Divorce Court judge, Judge Mablean Ephriam is getting a television series inspired by her humble beginnings and early career.
What We Know:
- Ephriam is a former Los Angeles prosecuting attorney. However, she is best known for her work on Divorce Court and her signature phrase, “look deep before you leap.”
- Emmy-winning producer, Taj Paxton, daughter of Ephriam, will partner up with Don Handfield to make the family drama series, according to Deadline. The show will be inspired by Ephriam’s early life as she became the first black female judge to preside over the nationally televised show, Divorce Court. Paxton will write and executive produce the show while Ephriam will serve as a consultant and executive producer.
- The show will center around a black working-class mom, who works as a correctional officer. Similar to Ephriam, the mom will be working to put herself through law school while navigating the difficulties of marriage and motherhood. Additionally, it will explore her difficult relationship with her street-smart husband who occasionally gets into trouble with the law.
- “Though the series will be based on my story as a black mother and woman who worked hard to fulfill her childhood dreams of becoming a lawyer and judge, my failures and victories echo the lives of many black women, in particular, and women in general, as they deal with juggling career, motherhood and marriage,” Ephriam told Deadline.
- The series is still in development, so there is no word on the network, cast or premiere date.
Would you be interested in watching this show?