Lil Nas X surprised kids at Lander Elementary in Mayfield Heights, Ohio to perform his hit single “Old Town Road.”
What We Know:
- Complex posted a video featuring Lil Nas X’s appearance and performance on Twitter. The young students in the video can be heard rapping the song word for word along with the rapper. “I’m finna do the biggest show of my life, and it’s going to be great,” the country rapper said in the video, moments before he entered the school’s gymnasium.
- This performance would not have happened without Felecia Evans, the school’s principal. Last week, Evans tweeted a video of her students singing along and dancing to the song. “I love my job. We ended our 5th grade talent show today with the whole school dancing and celebrating…together!!” Evans posted on Twitter.
- The 19-year-old rapper responded back to Evans on Twitter and asked when did the kids want a free show. The rest was history. He ended the performance by throwing stuffed animals into the crowd.
- Last month, a third-grade class at a school in Birmingham, Alabama made their own rendition to the country-rap crossover. Although the rapper did not perform for them, he still showed his support.
- The song had many people discussing racism in the country music genre after Billboard removed the song from their country music chart for not being “country enough” back in March.
Watch the video below for cuteness overload.
— Complex (@Complex) May 29, 2019