Update 7/29/19 9:37 PM CT:
- Ortiz has been released from the hospital Monday after almost two months recovering from a shooting in the Dominican Republic June 9. He posted on Instagram talking about the food he was yearning to eat, a positive sign that Ortiz is doing better than before.
In a statement released by the Red Sox, Ortiz thanked the team management, stating “My deep appreciation goes to (team owner) John and Linda Henry, (chairman) Tom Werner, (president and CEO) Sam Kennedy and the entire Red Sox organization for arranging the Red Sox plane that took me back to Boston from Santo Domingo and their continuing assistance to me and my family…”
His mother, Tiffany Ortiz, also thanked Red Sox Vice Chairman Philip Morse, “For his special acts of kindness and concern during a difficult time for me and my family.”
Original Story 6/10/19 11:47 AM CT:
Three-time World-Series winner, David Ortiz, was at the Dial Bar and Lounge with a group of friends when he was shot from behind.
What We Know:
- The attack was captured on camera. In a video, a man on a motorcycle can be seen coming up behind Ortiz and firing a weapon.
- Ortiz and two others were injured. The bullet pierced his lower back and went through his stomach. He is expected to make a full recovery.
- According to Dominican National Police Director Ney Aldrin Bautista Almonte, the gunman was unable to escape after firing. Bar patrons attacked the man until law enforcement could take over.
- The gunman has been identified as Eddy Feliz Garcia. But, Police believe other people were involved in the incident. Law enforcement is still investigating, his motive is unclear at the time.
Wishing Ortiz a speedy recovery!