Joseph Allen was found dead in his hotel room on June 13.
What We Know
- Joseph Allen, 55, is the latest American tourist to pass away in the Dominican Republic.
- CNN reported that a preliminary autopsy suggests cardiac arrest was the cause of death.
- Allen’s sister, Jaimie Reed, told NBC News that her brother was not feeling well on the day before his death. He still decided to go out that night, but his friends didn’t hear from him the following morning. A hotel employee went to check on Allen and found him dead.
- Allen’s death comes days after Leyla Cox, 53, who died in her hotel room on June 10. It is reported that she died after suffering a heart attack.
- On May 30, a Maryland couple died during their vacation on the island. Their deaths are believed to have also been due to natural causes.
- DR Ambassador Robin Bernstein released a statement saying, “The safety and security of U.S. citizens that live in, work in, and visit the Dominican Republic remains our highest priority. These incidents are tragic and we offer our deepest condolences to those personally impacted.”
This string of deaths has some rethinking their travel plans.