Kim Kardashian West announced on Monday that she would rename her forthcoming shapewear line, originally named Kimono Body, under a new name after facing backlash.
What We Know:
- Earlier this month, we reported about the accusations of cultural appropriation Kardashian-West faced after attempting to trademark the word Kimono for her new shapewear line. The name even inspired a hashtag, #KimOhNo, to call out the poor branding. Her decision to change the name comes a day after the mayor of Kyoto, Japan asked her in an open letter to reconsider using the name Kimono.
- “Kimono is a traditional ethnic dress fostered in our rich nature and history with our predecessors’ tireless endeavors and studies, and it is a culture that has been cherished and passed down with care in our living,” Mayor Daisaku Kadokawa wrote in the letter dated Friday.
- In a series of tweets, the reality star and business mogul addressed the controversy. “My brands and products are built with inclusivity and diversity at their core,” Kardashian-West said Monday morning, “and after careful thought and consideration, I will be launching my Solutionwear brand under a new name. I will be in touch soon. Thank you for your understanding and support always.”
- While some people criticized Kardashian-West for cultural appropriation, others praised the brand for its wide array of styles for women of diverse skin colors and body types.
- Initially, Kardashian-West stood behind the name and her choice to trademark it. “I understand and have deep respect for the significance of the kimono in Japanese culture,” she said in a statement to the New York Times on June 27.
Given how many times she has been called out for cultural appropriation, her greatest challenge seems to be not making the same mistake again. Just this past weekend, people were in disbelief at how tan her legs looked. She also faced backlash for wearing an Indian headpiece.
My brands and products are built with inclusivity and diversity at their core and after careful thought and consideration, I will be launching my Solutionwear brand under a new name. I will be in touch soon. Thank you for your understanding and support always.
— Kim Kardashian West (@KimKardashian) July 1, 2019
No this is not a black woman. These are Kim Kardashian’s legs ….. pic.twitter.com/iDmxEeylCG
— Kenneth Petty. (@_TherealKenny) June 30, 2019