Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez claims that Border Patrol agents are forcing migrants to drink out of toilets along with other extreme conditions.
What We Know:
- After leaving a US Customs and Border Protection facility in Texas, Ocasio-Cortez tweeted Monday “Officers were keeping women in cells w/ no water & had told them to drink out of the toilets…This was them on their GOOD behavior in front of members of Congress.”
- She along with other congressional Democrats are visiting some migrant detention centers along the southern border following reports of terrible conditions and repeated sexual assaults.
- When she went inside the female cells to ask them directly about conditions, she tweeted that “One of them described their treatment at the hands of officers as ‘psychological warfare’ – waking them at odd hours for no reason, calling them wh*res, etc…Tell me what about that is due to a ‘lack of funding?'”
- A CBP official denied the toilet accusations on Monday, insisting that the locations Ocasio-Cortez visited have standard-issue jail-type appliances with sinks that dispense safe drinking water attached to toilets in a single unit.
- Ocasio-Cortez has also apparently been receiving threats from other CBP officers, saying a “secret Facebook group” of 9,500 officers discussed making a GoFundMe to harm her and the other Dems during their visits Monday.
- “This isn’t about ’a few bad eggs,’” she tweeted. “This is a violent culture.”
Something has to be done immediately.