Disney just announced Halle Bailey will star as Ariel in the upcoming live-action reboot of The Little Mermaid.
What We Know:
- Bailey is a 19-year-old actress and singer. She is a member of the Grammy-nominated R&B duo, Chloe x Halle.
- You may recognize her from Freeform’s Grown-ish, where she plays Jazlyn “Jazz” Forster.
- Rob Marshall, the film’s director, said he chose Bailey because of her “rare combination of spirit, heart, youth, innocence, and substance- plus a glorious singing voice.”
- Bailey’s casting received mixed reviews. Many took to social media to either voice their support or disapprove of the decision:
The little mermaid was written as white, was white in the film, is based in Denmark and based on a European fairytale, but is cast as black… How is this not racist and cultural appropriation? If this were the other way round, those celebrating would be boycotting. #Ariel #Halle
— Rhys (@Rhys98983932) July 3, 2019
Like what is Ariel’s ethnic or cultural identity…fish? The whole movie is centered around the fact that she is a mermaid (a fictional creature) and her romance with Prince Eric…make it make sense pic.twitter.com/Nh1LkxPocV
— Chico Nasty (@TorreyCrosby) July 4, 2019
as a black girl i must say im very confused as to why a black girl is playing a ariel. if it were a white person playing a poc character it would be whitewashing, why not just have a white person play a white character
— Rocky⚔️ (@SEXYCULT) July 3, 2019
- Melissa McCarthy, Awkwafina, and Jacob Tremblay are being considered for roles in the film.
- Production is set to begin in early 2020.
dream come true… 🧜🏽♀️🌊 pic.twitter.com/sndjYUS6wO
— chloe x halle (@chloexhalle) July 3, 2019
Congrats to Halle Bailey! Can’t wait to see her take on this classic character.