Actor Cameron Boyce died in his sleep after a seizure caused by a pre-existing condition on Saturday, July 6.
What We Know:
- His family released a statement explaining Boyce was being treated for the ongoing medical condition that caused the seizure. The family has asked for privacy while they mourn the loss of their son and brother.
- Boyce starred in Disney channel hits like both Descendants movies and four seasons of the TV show Jessie. He was also filming a new HBO show, Mrs. Fletcher, set to premiere this fall, and had also just been cast as the leading role in the indie feature film Runt.
- Fans, friends and coworkers have taken to Twitter to mourn and honor Boyce’s death; Jessie costars China Anne McClain and Skaii Jackson have shared tearful posts at the loss of their friend. Many other actors like Adam Sandler, who briefly worked with Boyce on Grown Ups have shared their sadness on social media.
- CEO of the Walt Disney Company, Robert Iger, also paid tribute to Boyce with a tweet on behalf of the Walt Disney Company. A Disney Channel Spokesperson also shared a statement to Entertainment Tonight offering their condolences to Boyce’s family and emphasizing Boyce’s desire to “make a difference in peoples’ lives.”
The Walt Disney Company mourns the loss of #CameronBoyce, who was a friend to so many of us, and filled with so much talent, heart and life, and far too young to die. Our prayers go out to his family and his friends.
— Robert Iger (@RobertIger) July 7, 2019
- Many fans expressed shock at Boyce’s death as he had not openly discussed his condition with the media. Fans feel they grew up with Boyce watching him every day on Jessie, making his death feel even more personal and heartbreaking.
- “The world is now undoubtedly without one of its brightest lights, but his spirit will live on through the kindness and compassion of all who knew and loved him,” Boyce’s family said in their statement.
The third Descendants movie starring Boyce is set to premiere next month and will include Boyce’s character.