In regards to the wrongful death lawsuit against Ed Buck, L.A. County District Attorney Jackie Lacey and Deputy Craig Hum are making new claims.
What We Know:
- Ed Buck is an activist, Democratic campaign donor, and an alleged sexual predator.
- Buck caused suspicion when two black men were found dead of drug overdoses in his apartment over the span of two years.
- Gemmel Moore, 26, was found dead at Buck’s residence in West Hollywood in 2017. Moore was found naked on a mattress in the 64-year-old’s living room. His official cause of death was methamphetamine overdose.
- In January 2019, another black man was found dead in Buck’s apartment. Timothy Dean, 55, also died due to a drug overdose.
- The similarities between the two incidents reveal a troubling trend, but Buck has maintained his innocence in both cases. He was never criminally charged for the deaths.
- WEHOville reported that the amended suit claims Buck pressured the men into ingesting meth and offered to provide them with “housing and compensation in exchange for engaging in or performing sexual acts.”
- Jasmyne Cannick, a journalist, posted photos of Moore’s journal that seem to indicate Buck forced him to do drugs against his will.
If another young, Black gay man overdoses or worse dies at Democratic donor Ed Buck’s apartment it’s going to be the fault of the sheriff’s dept and L.A. District Atty for not stopping him when they had the opportunity to. #GemmelMoore #Justice4Gemmel pic.twitter.com/jlbS2KTvNe
— Jasmyne Cannick (@Jasmyne) July 28, 2018
- The amendment also claims Deputy D.A. Hum withheld information from L.A. County District Attorney Jackie Lacey about the investigation of the two men’s deaths. The claim alleges Hum had information that could have influenced Lacey’s decision on Buck’s case.
- The claim states, “…black victims are ignored, neglected, or otherwise treated in a way that falls beneath the standard of care by which similar information concerning or regarding similar crimes against or affecting white victims is treated.”
The lawsuit is still pending.