Snoop Dogg took to Instagram to demand equal pay for players on the US Women’s National Soccer team.
What We Know:
- Snoop Dogg posted a video on his Instagram congratulating the UWNST after they won the FIFA World Cup. In the video, he also referenced a report that found the women’s team is drastically underpaid compared to their male counterparts.
- He stated, “They only get $90,000 per player but the men, if they win, they get $500,000 per player. The sorry a** men from the US soccer team ain’t never won sh*t, ain’t going to ever win sh*t, can’t even get out the f*cking first round.” He continued, “Pay them girls what they are worth. The women should be getting $500,000 per athlete, Snoop Dogg says so.”
View this post on Instagram
- He was referencing a report published by The Guardian that revealed the women’s players received $90,000 in bonuses for qualifying for the quarter-final of the World Cup. If the men’s team would have made the same accomplishment, they would have earned $550,000, over six times the amount the women received.
- The women’s team continue to outperform the men’s team, but they do not earn equal amounts. The men’s team has never won a World Cup, the women have done it four times. CNBC reported that from 2016-2018, women’s games generated $50.8 million in revenue, beating out the $49.9 million generated by the men’s matches.
- The USWNST had already launched a class action lawsuit against the U.S. Soccer Federation for gender discrimination prior to their World Cup victory.
- Both parties have agreed to mediation, but if an agreement isn’t reached, the suit could go to trial.
Glad Snoop Dogg spoke up.