The lawyers of Amber Guyger, former Dallas Police Officer, have requested to move her trial to another county to ensure a fair trial.
What We Know:
- On July 8, Amber Guyger’s lawyer stated that the prejudicial and inflammatory media coverages on his client case can cause the jurors to be right winged during trial.
- On the night of Botham Jean’s death, Guyger stated that she parked on the wrong floor after her shift and opened the wrong apartment door assuming Jean had robbed her. Guyger shot and killed him.
- The Dallas Police Department announced on September 24, 2018 that they had fired Guyger.
- On November 30, 2018, Guyger was indicted on a murder charge.
- Guyger’s lawyers insisted the shooting was a true mistake. Dallas County District Attorney Faith Johnson said, “she didn’t intentionally shoot Jean.” CNN stated, “she committed a crime the moment she shot Jean.”
Guyger last appeared in court on June 6, 2019 and the trial date has been set for September 6, 2019.