Officer Keisha Richburg was fired after a murder victim’s money went missing.
What We Know:
- Jamel Harris was shot in the head on June 19 after an argument broke out between him and An-Nur Green in Atlanta.
- WSB-TV reported Leilani Collier, a witness, was helping Harris after he was shot and saw the money while searching his wallet for his ID.
- Collier reportedly turned in the wallet to the police when they arrived. She also informed his wife, Lanique Harris, about the money that was in the wallet.
- When Harris inquired about the money that was in her husband’s wallet, she was told there was no money by the police.
- Richburg was fired after the police department conducted an investigation into the incident.
- The investigation did not find Richburg guilty of stealing the money, but she was fired for not documenting the money properly per department policy.
- Police Chief Erika Shields released a statement saying, “It’s imperative the public have trust in our word and our actions. It’s extremely disappointing to see the victim of a fatal shooting be victimized twice by the actions of one of our officers.”
This is a sad situation.