A$AP Rocky is being held in a Swedish detention after being arrested on Tuesday, July 2, which inspired an outpouring of fan support with the #JusticeForRocky.
What We Know:
- Rocky was involved in a fight in Stockholm on Sunday, June 30 which he was later arrested for. A Swedish court ruled Friday, July 5 that Rocky will be held in Stockholm detention for the next two weeks as an investigation ensues.
- TMZ shared a video of the fight and reported Rocky voluntarily turned himself in to police for questioning once videos of the fight were released. The video shows Rocky and members of his entourage beating up a man on the street.
- Rocky shared his own videos of the encounter to Instagram a day after TMZ’s videos were leaked, showing that he and his entourage had tried to avoid any conflict with the men in the video by repeatedly asking them to stop following Rocky. Rocky claims the men, who were not his fans, followed him for four blocks while “slapping girls butts who passed.”
- Rocky claims he is innocent and was acting in self-defense, and his videos show that he repeatedly told the men “We don’t wanna fight…We don’t wanna go to jail.” One of the men following Rocky was the first to become violent by hitting Rocky’s bodyguard with a large set of headphones.
- Rocky’s detainment has halted his international tour which only began in Europe on June 26 and was meant to continue through July 21. Sweden’s Supreme Court has denied Rocky bail, which Rocky’s lawyers have explained his detainment has already cost Rocky $1 million.
- On Tuesday, July 9, a change.org campaign was created by #JusticeForRocky urging Swedish Officials to release Rocky based on violations of his rights and unfair detainment. Within the first day of its creation, the change.org petition had collected over 400,000 signatures.
- The petition creators explained they were denied an appeal from the Swedish Supreme Court to have Rocky released “from the inhumane conditions and the clear violation of human rights,” explaining he was unfairly denied his request to council and restrictions of amenities in the detention center.
The #JusticeForRocky movement is working to have Rocky released from detainment and continues to uphold Rocky’s innocence.