Nicki Minaj is rejecting to perform in Saudi Arabia because she wants to show support for women’s rights, gay rights and the freedom of expression, according to The Guardian.
What We Know:
- Minaj stated, “I have decided to no longer move forward with my scheduled concert at Jeddah World Fest. Its important for me to make clear my support for the rights of women, the LGBTQ community and freedom of expression.”
- Minaj was scheduled to perform on July 18, 2019.
- Women of Saudi Arabia are still being forced to wear head covers but were recently allowed to drive and attend events in sport stadiums.
- According to The Guardian, “Saudi Arabia still has deregulation between single men and women enforced in many restaurants, coffee shops, public schools and universities.”
- The women of Arabia are hoping more performing artist will cancel to show their support for women’s rights.
Jeddah Word Fest will be broadcasted globally, but Minaj will be the first to back out of her performance in support of women’s rights.