BET announced the hire of the former Netflix executive this week.
What We Know:
- As the new general manager of BET+, Griffin “will oversee business strategy and operations for the African American targeted service including original programming, content acquisitions, marketing, distribution, planning and analysis.”
- The service was announced last month and is not only going to include original content from Tyler Perry and also content from other Viacom cable brands, not just BET.
- BET president Scott Mills stated about Griffin, “His fresh perspective and expertise in curating premium content will strengthen our position in the streaming landscape and drive subscriber growth, viewership and retention…”
- Griffin in his own statement said “I am beyond excited to be joining the BET brand at such a pivotal time in the industry. With BET+, I see a big opportunity to provide powerful, comprehensive programming to African Americans, and lovers of black culture, in the SVOD space…”
- Before joining the BET+ family, Griffin worked for dramas like Designated Survivor and Netflix’s unscripted series Queer Eye. He was also Executive Vice-President of production company at Story Lab US and worked on their long-form content.
- He will be reporting to the president of BET Networks, Scott Mills, and will be in charge of the service’s originals and acquisitions, as well as marketing and distribution.
Wishing Griffin nothing but the best in his new career!