Captain Marvel star Lashana Lynch has been tapped to play MI6 special agent 007 in the upcoming Bond film.
What We Know:
- Lynch will become the new 007 in what is described as a “popcorn dropping moment” in the franchise’s 25th installment. The 31-year-old actress is best known for her role in Captain Marvel as pilot Maria Rambeau.
- Since Daniel Craig announced he was stepping down, people began talking about who should be the next James Bond for a while and many people argued that Idris Elba should be a top pick. Lynch will not be the new James Bond, but just a character who has taken over the 007 identity.
- Craig is reportedly brought back from retirement at one point in the movie and introduced to Lynch’s character, who has inherited his old code name that she will supposedly keep. “Bond, of course, is sexually attracted to the new female 007 and tries his usual seduction tricks, but is baffled when they don’t work on a brilliant, young black woman who basically rolls her eyes at him and has no interest in jumping into his bed. Well, certainly not at the beginning,” said a movie insider.
- TMZ reports that the shift to 007 being a woman was thanks to Phoebe Waller-Bridge, who helped write Killing Eve, a female-led spy thriller.
- This news is significant as Hollywood continues to seemingly move forward and add more diversity to their casts. Halle Baily was recently cast to play Ariel in the live-action Little Mermaid which caused controversy about Hollywood’s diversity shift. Actress Scarlett Johansson recently faced criticism for her comments about the relationship between “political correctness” and acting.
James Bond 25 does not have a title but is set to be released on April 8, 2020.
Halle Bailey as Ariel. Lashana Lynch as 007. Racist white people are really having the worst life ever. May they continue to stay mad. pic.twitter.com/KfyMYw0RFz
— Awesomely Luvvie (@Luvvie) July 15, 2019