Rihanna has sparked questions and concerns with her fans and others about her misuse of cultural appropriation.
What We Know:
- On Tuesday, Harper Bazaar China posted photos on his Instagram of R&B Singer Rihanna dressed in royal fashions of ancient China.
- The images that were posted were set to appear on the cover of Bazaar and a feature of the magazine’s August issue.
- The Chinese culture images of Rihanna was to show fans what happens when western style icon meets eastern aesthetic. But fans online think otherwise.
- Some social media fans/users uplifted the singer on the image, while others showed disappointment and took offense of the inappropriate culture appropriation.
- One Instagram user said, “ If you wanted to create an Asian look why didn’t you invite Asian Artist, This is a total smack in the face to the Asian culture.”
The major debate on culture appropriation styles has become an issue over the past years. Who can wear what and when without being attacked and or disrespected can make someone scared to even appreciate others’ cultures.