A man was detained at the Barcelona Airport on June 18 after more than 500 grams of cocaine were discovered under his wig.
What We Know:
- Now known as “Operation Toupee”, the arrest occurred at Barcelona’s El Prat airport.
- The man drew suspicion from police for his nervous behavior leaving his flight from Bogota. The wig he was wearing also was not fitting his head at all.
- The package of cocaine he was “hiding” was worth more than $33,000. Barcelona police told Reuters, “there is no limit to the inventiveness of drug traffickers…”
- The man was charged with a public health violation but it is unclear if he is still detained.
- Ironically, this was the same day the U.S. made a huge drug bust of their own — $1 billion dollars at a Philadelphia port owned by companies J.P Morgan and Mediterranean Shipping Company.
- Coincidentally, Spain is known as a gateway for drugs to Europe, mostly coming from Colombia.
There was no way he was going to finesse that.