The highly anticipated Cats trailer dropped Thursday afternoon and Twitter was not here for it.
What We Know:
- The Tom Hooper-directed film takes Andrew Lloyd Webber’s famous musical under the same title and makes it even more strange. Webber based the musical on T.S. Eliot’s book, Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats, and first premiered in 1981 in the United Kingdom.
- All the actors in the movie keep their human faces and bodies but are covered in CGI fur and have tails and pointy ears…interesting. It transforms big-name stars like Jennifer Hudson, Idris Elba, Jason Derulo and Taylor Swift into odd half-human, half-cat creatures.
- After the trailer was released, it received mixed reviews from Twitter users. It was the top trending topic worldwide on Twitter with over 300,000 tweets, according to The Wrap. Some people felt the CGI was horrible and overdone, while others actually enjoyed it.
- “I don’t know what I expected from ‘Cats’ ‘digital fur technology’ but the short answer is NOT this. My brain has melted. My eyes are bleeding. There is no god,” entertainment journalist Kristy Puchko said on Twitter. “Maybe we were too harsh on Sonic.” Puchko is referring to Sonic the Hedgehog, which garnered negative attention for the CGI design as well.
- “It’s not ‘Cats’ if it’s not tacky,” critic K. Austin Collins tweeted. “Frankly i could use more kitsch!! This is Andrew Lloyd Webber baby.”
Cats will be in theaters Dec. 20.
nobody at all:
cats the movie: pic.twitter.com/mtPehMWFWS
— max (@goodishomens) July 18, 2019