Titus Burgess was visibly annoyed when Andy Cohen asked him about working with comedian Eddie Murphy in his upcoming film.
What We Know:
- The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt star appeared with actress, Laverne Cox, on Cohen’s show, Watch What Happens Live.
- The actor was discussing his upcoming film, Dolemite Is My Name, when Cohen asked him, “Did you get to chat with him?”
- Burgess answered sarcastically, “Of course I did, why wouldn’t I?” Cohen responds with, “Well I just wonder if you got close at all because he was very problematic for the gays at one point when I was coming up?”
- Cohen has talked about his disapproval of Murphy’s brand of comedy in the past. Buzzfeed reported that Cohen told Kevin Hart during an XM interview, “I was a kid and I was in the closet, and every other word out of his mouth was f****t and everyone was laughing. And I literally went in the bathroom and started crying.”
- The actor rebuffed Cohen’s question stating, “He wasn’t problematic for Tituss, we had a wonderful time.” “Any troubles he may have had with gay people I guess are gone because he loved me,” he continued.
- While Burgess was mouthing something to the audience, Cox chimes in saying, “People can evolve.” Cohen asks what Burgess said and he replied, “Keep going girl, do your show.”
- The moment was very tense, and it didn’t end there.
- The actor commented about the situation on Instagram after the episode aired. He wrote, “He [Cohen] should remember his talk show isn’t an episode of the ‘Real Housewives of Atlanta!’ It’s a place where artists come to talk about art and have a little fun. NOT a place to rehash old rumors or bring a star negative press.”
- He continued, “Being friends with other talented celebrities doesn’t make you talented it makes you friends with other famous celebrities! He should rip a page from Anderson Cooper and learn how to do his job.”