Auli’i Cravalho, aka the voice of Moana, will star as Ariel in the live concert production of “The Little Mermaid” on ABC.
What We Know:
- The show is announced in honor of the classic’s 30th anniversary as part of The Wonderful World of Disney franchise.
- Breakout actress Auli’i Cravalho has been cast as Ariel while Oscar®-nominated, and GRAMMY®, Golden Globe® and Emmy® Award-winning R&B artist, actor and producer Queen Latifah is set to play villain Ursula Queen Latifah. GRAMMY-winning reggae musician, singer, DJ, and actor Shaggy will voice the Sebastian. Further cast announcements will be made at a later date.
- The show was previously supposed to air in October 2017, but was later scrapped due to financial issues though sets had already begun being built.
- “We are postponing the Little Mermaid Live special. We love the idea of doing a live musical and want to make it wonderful. The project is so unique that we are making best efforts to do it next year and want to give it all the attention it deserves,” an ABC spokesperson said in a statement at the time.
- The live tribute will boasts the same concept and producers as well as music from the original animated film and Tony-winning Broadway stage version.
The special will air Tuesday, Nov. 5, at 8 p.m. Cannot wait to see how ABC brings the musical to life!
Madelyn Gee & Tiffanie Lanelle contributed to this article