Cesar Sayoc was sentenced to 20 years in prison for mailing bombs across the country.
What We Know:
- Sayoc was arrested in October 2018 after authorities discovered he sent 16 bombs to 13 targets.
- He pled guilty to 65 criminal charges including using weapons of mass destruction.
- The 57-year-old Florida man was a vocal Trump supporter and targeted people who have disagreed with the President.
- U.S. Attorney Geoffrey Berman released a statement in March listing former President Barack Obama, former Vice President Joe Biden, Sen. Cory Booker, former CIA Director John Brennan, former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, CNN, Robert De Niro, Sen. Kamala Harris, former Attorney General Eric Holder, George Soros, Thomas Steyer, and Rep. Maxine Waters as Sayoc’s targets. All of the bombs were inoperative when they reached the targets.
- Prosecutors wanted Sayoc to serve a life sentence for his crimes. But, he received a lesser sentence of 20 years instead.
- Sayoc’s defense claimed his actions were caused by steroid use and mental illness. They stated, “a series of traumatic events pushed Cesar Sayoc further and further into the margins of society.” “He lost everything in the Great Recession,” they continued.
- The defense also explained that Sayoc was sexually abused by a teacher during his childhood. He later became estranged from his family. His lawyers stated, “In this darkness, Mr. Sayoc found light in Donald J. Trump.”
Glad Sayoc was brought to justice.