Popstar and Oscar winner Lady Gaga is giving back to three different cities that have been devastated over the recent months due to mass shootings.
What We Know:
- In less than 24 hours there were two mass shootings in the United States, resulting in approximately 30 deaths.
- On July 28, 2019, a mass shooting occurred at the Gilroy Garlic Festival in California killing 4 people and injuring others.
- On August 3rd, 2019 at a Walmart in El Paso, Texas, a gunman opened fire in hate crime attack on Mexicans killing twenty-two people.
- Less than a day later in Dayton, Ohio, 9 people were killed by another gunman in the city’s nightlife area.
- Lady Gaga who is known for her pop music and red carpet fashion statements is making headlines with her recent philanthropic endeavor. Through Her “Born This Way Foundation” she will be teaming up with “Donors Choose” an organization that helps teachers create special projects for their classrooms.
- The proceeds will be going to 14 classrooms in Dayton, 23 classrooms in Gilroy, and 125 classrooms in El Paso.
- In a tweet this past Friday, Gaga stated “My heart goes out to those who were taken from us too soon and to their families, loved ones, and communities who are left to grieve. Everyone has the right to laws that make them feel safe in their communities. In this moment, I want to channel my confusion, frustration, and fury into hope. Hope that we are there for each other and for ourselves.”
Lady Gaga also reminds us of the importance of mental health in the wake of tragedies as well as the importance of checking in with loved ones.