The players are turning their attention to the courts after their unfailing attempt to resolve the issue in mediation following their World Cup title in France. This case is in the middle of their five-game victory tour and during their preparations for the 2020 Olympics.
What We Know:
- On Wednesday, according to CNBC Make It, Molly Levinson, a spokesperson for the USWNT said they had left a mediation to avoid a federal court case.
- “We entered this week’s mediation with representatives of USSF full of hope. Today, we must conclude these meetings sorely disappointed in the Federation’s determination to perpetuate fundamentally discriminatory workplace conditions and behavior,” Levinson said.
- The U.S. Soccer Federation said in a statement to NBC News that they hoped to resolve the issue but accused the counsel of the players of taking an aggressive approach.
- “We value our players and have continually shown that, by providing them with compensation and support that exceeds any other women’s team in the world,” stated the USSF.
- The players sued the U.S. Soccer Federation in March for institutionalized gender discrimination, which includes unequal pay when compared to the men’s national team. The federation countered that argument by saying that the salary and benefits for both men and women’s team, which are bargained by separate unions cannot be compared.
- Federation President Carlos Cordeiro wrote U.S. Soccer players, last month saying that the women’s team were paid more between the years of 2010-2018 than the men’s team. In the letter, it also stated that the women’s team were paid $34.1 million in salary and game bonuses while the men’s team were only paid $26.4 million.
- The players disputed those claims.
According to the Times, there are no plans for mediation sessions and the players plan to take the USSF to court.