Former University of Texas and NFL running back Cedric Benson has been killed in a motorcycle crash in West Austin, Texas.
What We Know:
- Cedric Benson has been killed in a motorcycle crash in West Austin, Texas. A female passenger on the bike was also killed, law enforcement officials said.
- Two other adults were reportedly injured in the crash. Austin-Travis County EMS said they had responded to initial reports of a ‘vehicle and person on fire’ after the crash.
- Hours before the crash, Benson posted a picture of a BMW motorcycle to Instagram with the caption ‘My Saturday night’.
- Two days before the tragic accident, Benson appeared in court in Travis County to plead guilty to misdemeanor drunk-driving charges dating to February 2017, KVUE reported. There are no reports yet on whether alcohol played a role in the deadly crash Saturday.
- Benson was the first round draft pick in 2005 for the Chicago Bears, and appeared for them in Super Bowl XLI. He later played for the Cincinnati Bengals and the Green Bay Packers.
An injury in 2012 ended his professional career. This story is developing and will be updated here.