Brazil is currently in the dark and not because of the sun or the moon.
What we know:
- According to Brazil’s Research Space Center INPE, 73,000 fires have been detected, which is a record high for the country. The smoke from these fires are being carried by wind and covering the city of Sao Paulo for about three weeks.
- The agency took satellite photos which showed the fires raging through the states of Amazonas, Rondônia, Pará and Mato Grosso.
- Since the Amazon is one of the wettest areas in the world it is concerning to the state of Amazonas, who declared a state of emergency earlier this month due to the continuing fires, as well as the future of the Amazon itself.
- Many are accusing President
- A rise in awareness has occurred over the last 48 hours due to many tweets using the hashtag #PrayForAmazonia & #PrayForTheAmazon about the situation from local Brazilians and others going viral.
The Amazon Rainforest has been on fire for 3 weeks.
— Complex (@Complex) August 21, 2019
— Judy[ 12.30.17] ♡WinterBear♡ (@MoonlightBtsot7) August 22, 2019
— Kalal Vinay Kumar Goud (@KalalVinayKuma1) August 22, 2019