Rihanna’s 5th annual Diamond Ball, which supports her Clara Lionel Foundation, will honor Activist Shaun King and Barbados Prime Minister Mia Mottley this September in New York City.
What We Know:
- Each honoree will be awarded the Diamond Ball award for their “humanitarian and social justice work,” People reports.
- The Clara Lionel foundation was founded in 2012 in honor of Rihanna’s grandparents Clara and Lionel Braithwaithe. The foundation supports and funds effective education and emergency response programs around the world.
- Prime Minister Mottley and activist Shaun King are being honored at this years ball. Prime Minister Mottley has been an advocate for education and for their work in the community advocating for education in Barbados as well as opportunities for women and the youth. King, advocates for social justice via social media and founded the Justice PAC, an organization that “works to elect prosecutors, as well as city and county officials who are in support of criminal justice reform,” Yahoo, reports.
- “I am particularly honored to present Prime Minister Mottley and Shaun King with this year’s Diamond Ball Awards for their groundbreaking work. We are so thankful to them for joining us and making the night better than ever,” Rihanna stated.
- Honorees that are making an impact in the community is not a new thing for the ball. According to the Clara Lionel Foundation, the 2018 Diamond Ball honoree included Global Citizen’s CEO Hugh Evans, who received the award for his humanitarian efforts that have mobilized millions to help end extreme poverty, climate change and gender inequality around the world.
- The Clara Lionel foundation continues to help the community with the help of the funding raised by the Diamond Ball. In 2018, the ball raised $6 million, and in 2017 the ball raised nearly $1 million. Surely, 2019 will be even greater.
- Last year’s ball was hosted by Issa Rae with a special performance by Childish Gambino. This year’s ball is set to take place September 12th and features a performance by Pharrell Williams and DJ Khaled and will be hosted by Seth Meyers.
This event brings out the A-List celebrities each year for such a great cause.
Photos from the 2018 Ball: