Charlotte Mayor Vi Lyles, Councilman Braxton Winston, Councilwoman Dimple Ajmera and many others received threatening letters at their offices.
What We Know:
- All of the politicians who received these letters are people of color. The letter stated, “…Each of you despicable BLACK democrats should be tarred and feathered and run out of town (my town) on a rail…”
- Another excerpt from the letter reads, ”We’ll round you up and send you screaming to the concentration camps where you belong.”
- The letter also included a statement similar to President Trump’s infamous “go back” tweet.
- “I’ve heard it many, many time before, go back to where you came from,’ so that’s why this was personal to me. Unfortunately, this kind of language has become the norm,” Councilwoman Ajmera told NBC News.
- The letters are being investigated by Charlotte Mecklenburg police.
Let’s hope whoever wrote these letters is caught soon.