The music industry’s biggest stars gathered in New Jersey last night at MTV’s 2019 Video Music Awards. Lots went down, if you missed it here’s a quick recap:
- Taylor Swift opened the ceremony with a rainbow-filled performance of “You Need to Calm Down” followed by her latest love song “Lover.” Both songs are from her new album, “Lover.” “YNTCD” was awarded video of the year later that night.
- Comedian Sebastian Maniscalco hosted the show. We don’t know him and don’t really care to after his tired jokes about safe spaces and trigger warnings. His brand of comedy didn’t sit well with the audience or viewers at home. He stated, “MTV noticed that we’re living in ultrasensitive times. If you feel triggered or you feel offended by anything I’m saying here or anything the musical artists are doing, they’re providing a safe space backstage where you’ll get some stress balls and a blankie and also Lil Nas X brought his horse which will double as an emotional support animal.” Luckily there were several stellar performances that made up for this bit.
- Missy Elliot was awarded the coveted Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award. She is the first female rapper to receive this recognition. The iconic rapper performed a medley of some of her hit songs like ‘Get Ur Freak On,’ “Lose Control” and “Pass That Dutch.” Missy even brought out Alyson Stoner during “Work It.” Stoner danced in the original 2003 video.
- Normani performed her new single, “Motivation.” The former Fifth Harmony member brought down the house. Her voice, the choreography – everything was just on point.
- Lizzo performed her hit songs “Truth Hurts” and “Good as Hell.” She delivered flawless bars in front of a huge inflatable butt and there was a synchronized wig toss at the end of her performance. The crowd went wild for her performance. How can you not feel good as hell after watching Lizzo?
Cardi B won Best Hip Hop Video for “Money.” “Since this is the Video Music Awards and everything, I really want to thank my music video team — first Jora Frantzis — that’s the director. She gotta hear outta my mouth, ‘I look ugly. Edit my stomach, edit my butt. Smooth my cellulite out,'” the rapper said onstage. She continued, “And I wanna thank my glam team, Erika, Tokyo. Thank y’all so much. Without y’all, my music videos wouldn’t look like this. Thank you Jesus, thank you Jesus!”
- Shawn Mendes and Camila Cabello performed their latest song “Señorita” which is currently No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100. The couple stunned on stage delivering a steamy performance.
Here is a full list of winners:
Song of the Year- Lil Nas X: “Old Town Road (Remix)” [ft. Billy Ray Cyrus]
Best New Artist- Billie Eilish
Best Collaboration- Shawn Mendes / Camila Cabello: “Señorita”
Push Artist of the Year- Billie Eilish
Best Pop- Jonas Brothers: “Sucker”
Best Hip-Hop- Cardi B: “Money”
Best R&B- Normani- “Waves” [ft. 6LACK]
Best K-Pop- BTS- “Boy With Luv” [ft. Halsey]
Best Latin- ROSALÍA / J Balvin: “Con Altura” [ft. El Guincho]
Best Dance- The Chainsmokers: “Call You Mine” [ft. Bebe Rexha]
Best Rock- Panic! At the Disco: “High Hopes”
Video for Good- Taylor Swift: “You Need to Calm Down”
Best Group- BTS
Best Power Anthem- Megan Thee Stallion: “Hot Girl Summer” [ft. Nicki Minaj and Ty Dolla $ign]
Song of Summer- Ariana Grande and Social House: “Boyfriend”
Fashion Trailblazer- Marc Jacobs
Best Direction- Lil Nas X “Old Town Road (Remix)” [ft. Billy Ray Cyrus] (dir. Calmatic)
Best Visual Effects- Taylor Swift “ME!” [ft. Brendon Urie] (visual effects: Loris Paillier & Lucas Salton for BUF VFX)
Best Editing- Billie Eilish “bad guy” (editing: Billie Eilish)
Best Art Direction- Ariana Grande: “7 rings” (art direction: John Richoux)
Best Choreography- ROSALÍA / J Balvin “Con Altura” [ft. El Guincho] (choreography: Charm La’Donna)
Best Cinematography- Shawn Mendes / Camila Cabello: “Señorita” (cinematography: Scott Cunningham)
How do you feel about last night’s show?