Serena Williams earned her 19th consecutive win against Sharapova in under an hour.
What We Know:
- In the first round of the biggest stars at the 2019 U.S Open, Serena Williams overpowered Maria Sharapova 6-1, 6-1 in the first round matchup.
- Williams’ victory against Sharapova began in 2005 and her recent win counts as her 19th consecutive win against Sharapova.
- Sharapova has won a total of only three sets.
- Williams, 37, hit a total of 16 winners to Sharapova’s 6.
- According to CBSsports, “After withdrawing from the Western & Southern Open earlier this month because of back spasms, Williams moved on the court with ease and was able to up the aggressiveness on her shots when Sharapova threatened.”
- Sharapova earned her first break point of the match in the second set at 15-40, but not close enough to break Williams who won the next point with her forehand.
- In their head-to-head matchup, Williams holds a commanding 20-3 advantage, with Sharapova’s last win coming in 2004.
Williams has reminded her opponent yet again why she is who she is! Black News Alerts will keep you updated with more information.
— US Open Tennis (@usopen) August 27, 2019