Marriott Hotels have plans to reduce its environmental impact.
What We Know:
- Beginning with their toiletries, Marriott International announced yesterday that they will replace the tiny, single-use shampoo, conditioner, and bath gel bottles into larger, pump-topped bottles. As of today, Marriott Hotels have begun rolling out the larger bottles at about 1,000 of their properties in the United States.
- They plan to have all hotels transition over by December 2020.
- “This is our second global initiative aimed at reducing single-use plastics in just over a year, which underscores how important we believe it is to continuously find ways to reduce our hotels’ environmental impact. It’s a huge priority for us,” explained Arne Sorenson, President and Chief Executive Officer of Marriott International.
- Once Marriott International’s toiletry program is well-developed, they are expecting to prevent 500 million tiny bottles from getting distributed to landfills annually. That equals to 1.7 million pounds of plastic, which is a 30% yearly reduction from current plastic usage.
- “Our guests are looking to us to make changes that will create a meaningful difference for the environment while not sacrificing the quality service and experience they expect from our hotels, ” said Sorenson.
I don’t know about ya’ll but, I’m excited to see this turnaround. Are you? Let us know in the comments.