Not only has Viola Davis earned the honor of playing Michelle Obama in Showtime’s upcoming drama series, she will also be one of the executive producers.
What We Know:
- Viola Davis is the star of the “How to Get Away With Murder” hit series, which will debut its final season on Sept 26. Fortunately, Davis will not be disappearing from our TV screens since she’ll be taking on a new adventure with Showtime network.
- First Ladies is in production and will tell the story of each First Lady from both political and personal standpoints with Davis set to play the role of Michelle Obama. We can also expect to see the stories of Eleanor Roosevelt and Betty Ford during the first season of the series.
- Davis recently posted to her Instagram account that she was “proud to spotlight these brave, extraordinary women.”
- Deadline reported that “Davis will executive produce the project, which hails from writer Aaron Cooley (novels Four Seats: A Thriller of the Supreme Court, The Guns of Ridgewood), Davis and Julius Tennon’s JuVee Productions, Cathy Schulman’s Welle Entertainment (Otherhood), Jeff Gaspin’s Gaspin Media (LA’s Finest) and Brad Kaplan (The Intruder). Showtime and Lionsgate TV co-produce.”
- Fans can expect the drama series to be one-hour long and comprise three initial episodes. Unfortunately, the premiere date of First Ladies is unknown, but we expect that Showtime will make an announcement soon. In addition, the White House’s East wing will be the set of First Ladies.
We’re sure Viola Davis will do an excellent job portraying former First Lady Michelle Obama and we can’t wait to watch the series.