Lizzo may have boy problems, but the one issue she doesn’t have is being the first black woman to have the number one song in America for 2019.
What We Know:
- After sitting on the charts for 17 weeks, Lizzo’s “Truth Hurts” has topped the charts, knocking off “Senorita” by Shawn Mendes featuring Camila Cabello which was number one last week. This achievement comes two years after the song was initially released in September 2017.
- The song was previously featured in Netflix’s original movie “Someone Great”, and it was featured on the 31-year-old’s LP, “Cuz I Love You.”
- This accomplishment came after her Made in America and VMA performances.
- Lizzo said in a post via Instagram, “WE’RE NUMBER 1. THIS IS A W FOR ALL OF US.” The “Juice” singer also went on Twitter to share the news. She wrote, “100% BLACK & NUMBER 1.”
WE’RE NUMBER 1. THIS IS A W FOR ALL OF US. ANYBODY WHO EVER FELT LIKE THEY VOICE WASN’T HEARD. ANYBODY WHO FELT LIKE THEY WEREN’T GOOD ENOUGH. YOU ARE. WE ARE. CHAMPIONS. I LOVE YALL 3 MUCH. LIZZBIANS UNITE 🌈☔️ pic.twitter.com/Ur4hrtwCnt
— |L I Z Z O| (@lizzo) September 3, 2019
- Other celebrities such as Cardi B, Resse Witherspoon, and SZA congratulated the singer on her accomplishment.
The fact that Lizzo a couple months ago felt underestimated and now she have a #1!!!!BITCH! take that!take that ! Makes me emotional 😭 It’s the best feeling in the world.
— iamcardib (@iamcardib) September 3, 2019
This is a true testament of what divine timing and working hard can do for anyone trying to follow their dreams. Congrats Lizzo!