On the show, Same Bed, Different Dreams, hosted on SBS, world-renowned Korean model/fashion designer Kim Won Joong showed his bias towards BLACKPINK with his wife, Kwak Ji Young.
What We Know:
- BLACKPINK is an all-girl Korean-pop (k-pop) group compromised of four women, Jisoo, Lisa, Jennie, and Rosé. On August 8, 2016, BLACKPINK debuted their single album Square One. BLACKPINK’s fans are called Blinks!
- Although all their music videos are successful (ranged from 372M – 952M views), their 2018 video 뚜두뚜두 (DDU-DU DDU-DU) is the most popular. Within the past three years, they have gained a lot of attention in the US and were even the first girl k-pop group to perform at Coachella.
- Not only has BLACKPINK been increasing in popularity over here in the US, but they’ve also been gaining Blinks worldwide.
- Kim Won Joong (김원중) was the “first-ever Asian model to walk on a runway show of Italian luxury fashion house Prada.” In addition to Prada, he’s walked in Kenzo, Etro, Prada, Neil Barrett, and Corneliani – all of which are high fashion shows. He debuted his brand, 87mm, at 2015 S/S Seoul Fashion Week.
- During the episode of Same Bed, Different Dreams, the couple played a game where Joong would pick his favorite group between two. He had to choose between BLACKPINK and ITZY and he chose BLACKPINK. When asked again but against TWICE, Joong’s loyalty was still with BLACKPINK.
- His co-stars on the variety show laughed at him “fanboying over BLACKPINK” but it “warmed the hearts of many Blinks!”
With BLACKPINK getting more and more support, we hope that the Asian community can start having more representation in the media over here in the US.
— pink (@bliiinkeu) April 20, 2019